Friday, January 13, 2012

How then ought we to live?

    Well, I have survived the first week of a new semester. I can’t say I enjoy getting my whole life turned around every four months, but even in the midst of the changes that a new semester brings there’s something that feels routine. My schedule is different, people have changed over break (some drastically, others not), there’s snow outside, and I haven’t yet figured out how to balance my new coursework, but the food hasn’t changed a bit, my piano teacher still brings joy and warmth to my heart every Monday, I’m still getting lost trying to transpose my homework for keyboard harmony, and most importantly God is still faithfully orchestrating all the details of my life each and every day. Some things feel drastically different and at times that’s uncomfortable, but I’m still here and I’m still excited to see all that God will do.



    In the middle of the stresses of week one there’s still been time for long conversations on the beach, late night walks with friends, piano dueting, and getting re        acquainted with my favorite study spot. Despite syllabus shock and music theory woes there’s much to be excited for this semester, and I’m reminded of how blessed I am to be here. The question I want to ask this semester is not will I conquer theory IV or will I pass all of my classes with flying colors, but who am I becoming? Am I being a good steward of the time that God has given me here to learn from some of the most amazing instructors, to be surrounded by wonderful friends who challenge and encourage me, and to prepare to serve him with my life? Am I truly seeking him and striving to become more and more like Christ each and every day?



    I can complete any number of academic tasks and graduate with an impressive GPA but, as one of my favorite professors liked to say, when I’m working in ministry nobody is going to care about that and nobody is going to give me a theology test. But they’ll be watching how I live.



    So who am I becoming? Who am I seeking to reflect?


    “What sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God?” – 2 Peter 3:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment