Thursday, January 19, 2012

Faith like a Child

    How could God, if he’s truly good and truly sovereign, allow…? Fill in the blank with the world’s most recent disaster or a personal story of unbearably painful events.
    Something inside of us just wants to know why. Deep in our hearts we wonder, can we really trust that God is good? Sovereign? Is he truly faithful? Or has he forgotten?
    Yesterday I was speaking with a dear friend, Leola. A number of years ago she had some sort of accident and part of her head is gone. She now lives in a nursing home, and although she is able to function and interact normally, she has trouble remembering things and it can be difficult for her to hold a normal conversation. She knows that something is wrong with her, but she doesn’t know what happened. She often expresses a deep desire to communicate on a deeper level, but is unable to. Yesterday we were talking about God’s goodness and faithfulness even in the difficult and confusing seasons of life. I stated that sometimes it can be challenging to trust that God is sovereign and good when we don’t understand our circumstances.

     Her reply?

   “No. God is good.”

    What?! Why do I make things so complicated? Why do I seek to understand completely the intricate plans of the Almighty God whose ways are infinitely higher than mine? Why do I let the smallness of my own perspective and understanding cloud my trust in God’s faithfulness and goodness?

     “But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God.” – Psalm 73:16-17

    Why do I forget how simple it is? Why do search for answers instead of just seeking to be in the presence of God? Why do I get angry and cry out that this or that isn’t fair instead of praising God because his plans are infinitely beyond my understanding?

    No.

    God is good.

    Faith

    Like a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment